12/26/2020

Christmas Present

Someone sent us all a gift at 6:29 Christmas morning in Nashville.  An RV bomb punched a big hole in the side of an AT&T building, while the perpetrator took care to warn away anyone who might be hurt or killed by the explosion.  

In my opinion it was a direct attack meant to disable the local or regional information system for a short period of time, and I believe that whatever the purpose of doing so, the action has already either succeeded or failed.  I say this because those who were affected by it will be stepping up their defenses against this sort of thing.  Unknown vehicles won't be allowed to park next to sensitive buildings in the future.

I don't believe it was an attempt to test defenses or police responses, or to permanently "take out" any data collection going on at the site, or to send a message of some sort.  Because it was very precisely timed, and very precisely aimed, I think it's safe to say that whatever the perps were going to do when systems went down has already happened.  I'm just not smart enough to figure out what that might have been.

But for sure, the perps knew pretty precisely where to place the vehicle.  I've seen video of a hole blasted in the side of the building at the second story level, and one which showed large sections of sidewalk missing.  I don't know much about explosives, but it seems as though this one was directed at a specific part of the building. 

It was reported that 911 systems were knocked out as far as 180 miles to the east in Knox County.

No comments: