7/12/2010

This is pretty weird.  I spend a lot of my time reading progressive blogs and I check Google news several times a day, yet I didn't hear about the formation of a group called One Nation until I read about it in my local dead tree Sunday afternoon.

That article was a reprint of an article that had appeared in the Washington Post last Friday.  Now, Fridays are  notorious as news dump day, when things hit the papers that folks hope will not be noticed.  Sort of like the old joke "and your cat died".

Added to this the fact that the Wash Post is one of the most active sources of disinformation/corporate propaganda on the planet, and I suspect that this was an attempt by them to set the tone for the discussion of this organization.  That "tone" being that this is a group like the bizarre, reactionary Tea Baggers.

The lack of response by progressive bloggers is a bit puzzling, but I suppose they all have better things to do in the summertime on a Friday.  Sadly, most of these guys are beyond bitter about the actions taken by the Obama administration so far.  Expectations for the possibility of change are quite low.

What they forget is that they don't represent ordinary folks.  Ordinary folks aren't quite so hooked into all the battles and maneuverings in Washington that progressives follow like the plot of some suspense novel.  Sure, ordinary folks are disappointed, but they still believe in the process.

The timing of this call for change seems good to me.  Organizing a march on Washington in October seems like a good idea to me.  The call for unity among the majority who voted this man into office seems good to me.  I want more, but this is a good start.

(later)
Still remarkable net silence about this.  I found a piece by George Gresham on the Majority Agenda(?) website.

No comments: